Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Christmas Light Chaos Syndrome

Disclaimer: Those people who suffer from Christmas Light Chaos Syndrome might be offended by this post.

I have a definite holiday pet peeve. Some might say it is associated with my mild case of OCD. I'm sure there are others out there who feel the same way, so I thought I should publicly air my grievances.
I can't stand people who put up mismatched Christmas lights and decorations. I know you know what I'm talking about. That house down the street with one 12-foot section of blinking icicles, combined with the l.e.d strip around the tree trunk, but not to be over-shadowed by the obscene lighted ornaments dangling from the branches. And, one of my new favorites, the inflatable yard decorations that seem grossly out of place next to the wooden nativity scenes or lighted reindeer.
Don't get me wrong... I'm no Grinch. I love Christmas and the spirit of the season. But come on people. Get it together. Just because the lights are on sale at Walmart doesn't mean you have to buy all of them and put them up.
My eyes hurt and my obsessive compulsive tendencies come out as I pass those homes, thinking to myself that there should be medication for Christmas Light Chaos Syndrome or at least a group that these people can attend.
I can see the advertisement now...
CLCA: Christmas Light Chaos Anonymous. Meets every Monday night from Black Friday through Christmas Eve. Will cover topics including: how to avoid a Christmas light blowout sale, how to know when enough is enough, and good Christmas lights make for good neighbors. Call now to sign up.

2 comments:

  1. Totally agree woman. Can we say TACKY! Like I should talk though, our front yard is landscaped with dirt and dandelions - maybe some energy sucking lights could add a little something to our non existent ambiance. If we did put up Christmas lights, which doesn't look likely in the next 3 years - you bet your pregnant ass they'd match!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it-2 blogs in one week! you are moving now. Hope you had a better week than me! Probably not, it has taken forever. Call me this weekend.

    ReplyDelete